Elite Russia troops to take part in India war games
Moscow: Over 200 elite Russian mountain
troops are set to participate with their Indian counterparts
in anti-terror `INDRA-2010` wargames scheduled for October
15-24 in Uttarakhand bordering China, the Defence Ministry
said on Wednesday.
Indian and Russian armed forces have been carrying out
joint wargames since 2003 on biannual basis.
The crack troops of the North Caucasus-based 34th
Independent Mountain Brigade of the Russian Army will fly to
Barelly on board military Ilyushin Il-76 transport aircraft,
from where they will proceed by road to Chaubattia near
Ranikhet, the base of Kumaon Regiment of the Indian Army.
"During the upcoming exercise, the Russian and Indian
military personnel will form a joint task force, and plan and
carry out a series of mock anti-terrorism missions in the
mountains," the spokesman for the North-Caucasus Military
Area, Lt Col Andrei Bobrun, said.
The Russian troops will be equipped with their latest
automatic weapons for mountain warfare and lightweight
Permyachka Infantry Suits, which protect at least 80 per cent
of the body surface from small-calibre bullets and low-speed
Both India and Russia have a rich experience in carrying
out anti-militancy and anti-terror operations in mountains and
the exchange of experience between their armed forces is
extremely important, the Defence Ministry officials here said.
In the past, Indian and Russian navies and paratroopers
have carried out joint wargames in the two countries with the
aim of honing skills in combined operations against sea
pirates and terrorists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27