EMERCOM jets preparing to evacuate Russians from Libya
Moscow: Russia`s Ministry for Emergency Situations and Civil Defense or EMERCOM is preparing
its jets for evacuation of Russian citizens from the violence-stricken Libya, an official said.
An Ilyushin-62, a Yakovlev-42, and two Ilyushin-76 cargo
carriers may take off and head for Tripoli as early as
Tuesday, Irina Andrianova, the chief of EMERCOM press service
said on Monday.
"Two more jets, an Ilyushin-76 and a Yakovlev-42, are on
the standby," Andrianova said.
"We hope four jets will be able to leave for Libya in the
morning of Tuesday, February 22," she said. "The Ilyushin-62
will be the first one to take off. The early data we have
indicates there are about 500 Russian citizens to be
President Dmitry Medvedev`s press secretary Natalya
Timakova said earlier the President had issued an instruction
to the Emergency Situations and Civil Defense Minister Sergei
Shoigu and the president of the Russian state railway
corporation RZD, Vladimir Yakunin, to draft plans for a
possible evacuation of the Russian nationals stranded in the
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya.
"The President gave an instruction to consider all the
details for a possible evacuation of Russians from Libya,"
Anti-government riots spread to the capital Tripoli on
Sunday. The information coming from the country is highly
controversial but some Arabic news media suggest hundreds of
people have already died in clashes between the supporters and
opponents of the Libyan leader, Muamar Gaddafi.
Thousands more people have reportedly been wounded.
Official Libyan sources speak of 84 people killed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'