Emergency in NY as ‘Frankenstorm’ Hurricane Sandy approaches US
Washington: In the face of a potentially devastating storm, Hurricane Sandy, approaching the US, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has declared a state of emergency and local officials have considered evacuating as many as 3,75,000 residents, according to a report.
It has also been learnt that the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) was considering a total shut down of buses and subways in the city if the worst predictions about Hurricane Sandy come true.
The ‘Frankenstorm’, which is being touted more powerful than Hurricane Irene, killed at least 41 people in the Caribbean after it leveled homes in Cuba and Jamaica earlier this week, and could smash into New York as early as Sunday, the New York Daily News reports.
According to the report, Mayor Bloomberg said he’d make a decision about evacuations in low-lying areas in all five boroughs as soon as Saturday.
“We are taking all the steps that we need to take. But the storm is moving at a rate that we’re still not going to have a good sense of when and where it’s going to hit land,” Bloomberg said.
City Health Commissioner Thomas Farley said the city was considering six hospitals and 41 chronic care facilities, including nursing homes in the low-lying areas, to move patients who could be easily relocated, the report said.
A map created by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is currently tracking the path of Hurricane Sandy, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow