Emergency landing: Gatwick airport halt flights
London: London`s Gatwick airport suspended all flights today after a US-bound passenger jet was forced to make an emergency landing after suffering technical difficulties, the airport said.
The Virgin Atlantic Airbus A330 to Orlando was carrying 13 crew and 299 passengers when it landed at 12:30 pm local time but they were all safely disembarked and the plane was secured, the airline confirmed.
Gatwick, lying to the south of London, is Britain`s second largest air hub after London Heathrow and the busiest single-runway airport in the world, handling around 33 million passengers a year.
The plane "left Gatwick airport at 1048, bound for Orlando (in Florida), and returned at 1230 to make an emergency landing due to reports of a technical issue," an airport spokeswoman told AFP.
"The emergency services are on the scene, the aircraft is safe and the passengers have been safely disembarked.
"Because the aircraft is on the runway all flights in and out of the airport are currently suspended until further notice."
Television footage showed the grey and red aircraft on the runway surrounded by emergency vehicles.
The airline confirmed in a statement that flight VS27 from Gatwick to Orlando had returned to the London airport and been evacuated, following a "technical problem" on board.
It said the landing was a precautionary measure, adding: "The safety and welfare of our crew and passengers is Virgin Atlantic`s top priority." (AFP)
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- US President Barack Obama hosts jazz concert at `Blues House`
- Will never talk about my personal life, boyfriend: Sonam Kapoor
- PeeCee's day out! Priyanka Chopra spends candid time with besties – Pictures inside
- WATCH: Gujarat Lions' mystery spinner Shivil Kaushik reminded us of Paul Adams - Here's why!
- CISCE ICSE Class 10, ISC Class 12 Examinations Results 2016 to be announced on May 6 at 3 pm