Emerging Arab Islamists look to `Turkish model`
Cairo: Islamists from Egypt to Morocco are reaping the rewards of new democratic freedoms brought by the Arab Spring, with the more moderate citing Turkey as their template for the future.
"They look at Turkey as a model. They look at Turkish success because it improved the life of Turks," Shadi Hamid, director of the research at the Brookings Doha centre, told a news agency.
"So they look at AKP (the ruling Justice and Development Party) and they want their success," he added.
The moderate Islamist Ennahda party that won in the first post-revolution elections in Tunisia openly expressed its admiration for the "Turkish model" represented by Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, a pious Muslim.
Erdogan did a tour of Arab Spring countries in October, visiting Cairo where the formerly banned Muslim Brotherhood is set for electoral success and Tunisia where he met the head of Ennahda, Rached Ghannouchi.
In the Tunisian capital, he declared to great acclaim that "Islam and democracy are not contradictory" and that "a Muslim can run a state very successfully."
The appeal of his party is partly its Islamist roots and partly the way in which it has managed to wrest control from the army, the traditional power centre in the country which has toppled several elected governments.
A fast-growing economy has raised standards of living and given the country bigger diplomatic clout that it is beginning to flex.
"The AKP has become a sort of guide for the Islamist parties," says Abdel Bari Atwan, editor of the Al-Quds Al-Arabi daily based in London.
"They want to imitate it after seeing how it has transformed Turkey into the 17th biggest economic power in the world with growth rates that would make Europe green with envy," he said.
But while the AKP party has Islamist roots, Turkey is officially secular -- a concept the Islamists emerging in Arab Spring countries seem unwilling to embrace.
According to analysts, the economy is going to be the main criteria by which the new Islamist movements in Tunisia, Egypt and Morocco, where they won recent elections, are going to be judged in power.
"They have won in part because they have always sided with the poor" and earned support through their charitable networks, explained Atwan.
Hamid from the Brookings Doha centre stressed the Turkish model is "not about Islam. It is about economics and they improved lives."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt