Emirates court convicts American on terror charges
Abu Dhabi: A judge in the United Arab Emirates has convicted an American citizen of terrorism charges and sentenced him to 18 months in prison.
Naji Hamdan, an American of Lebanese origin, cannot appeal today`s verdict, but will actually be released soon because he has been held since last year.
Hamdan faced three terrorism-related charges, including having ties with an al Qaeda group in Iraq.
Hamdan denied the allegations and said he was "disappointed" by the verdict.
His lawyer claims Hamdan was tortured by Emirates security agents and forced to sign a confession.
Rights groups have accused US authorities of pushing the case in the Emirates because they lack enough evidence for American courts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested