Emirates court convicts American on terror charges
Abu Dhabi: A judge in the United Arab Emirates has convicted an American citizen of terrorism charges and sentenced him to 18 months in prison.
Naji Hamdan, an American of Lebanese origin, cannot appeal today`s verdict, but will actually be released soon because he has been held since last year.
Hamdan faced three terrorism-related charges, including having ties with an al Qaeda group in Iraq.
Hamdan denied the allegations and said he was "disappointed" by the verdict.
His lawyer claims Hamdan was tortured by Emirates security agents and forced to sign a confession.
Rights groups have accused US authorities of pushing the case in the Emirates because they lack enough evidence for American courts.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram