Emotional Pope Benedict XVI says God asked him to retire
Vatican City: Thousands turned up at St Peter`s Square as Pope Benedict XVI delivered an emotional last Sunday prayer and assured supporters that he was not ‘abandoning’ them.
Pope, 85, ahead of his formal resignation on Thursday, announced that God had told him to devote himself to prayer to loud applause and chanting.
"The Lord is calling me to climb the mountain, to dedicate myself even more to prayer and meditation. But this does not mean abandoning the Church," the pope who shocked everyone by announcing his resignation last week owing to ill-health, told the crowd from the window of his residence in the Apostolic Palace in the Vatican.
"If God is asking me to do this it is precisely so I can continue to serve with the same dedication and love as before but in a way that is more appropriate for my age and for my strength."
He thanked the crowd, saying, "We will always be close!"
Pope Benedict’s resignation will end an eight-year pontificate that was dominated by the priest child sex abuse scandal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP