Empire State Building shooting: ‘9 wounded by police gunfire`
Washington: The nine people who were injured in a shooting incident outside Empire State Building were wounded by police gunfire, Ray Kelly, NYPD Commissioner said on Saturday, as per CNN report.
The shooting incident took place outside Empire State Building on Friday in which the gunman, Jeffrey Johnson killed a co-worker, Steven Ercolino, whom he blamed for costing him his job. Once the victim arrived, he put a gun to the executive`s head and fired five times, then walked off with his briefcase into the morning rush of midtown Manhattan.
Johnson was walking rapidly down the street trailed by two police officers when he stopped, wheeled around and pulled out a gun.
Police officers fired a total of 16 rounds at Johnson after he tried to shoot the police officers, as per authorities. The concerning officers are being probed in the matter.
In the gunfire, three victims suffered gunshot wounds, while the remaining six were hit by fragments.
Johnson had worked as a designer of women`s accessories at apparel firm Hazan Imports for six years. He was laid off from his job a year ago when the company underwent downsizing.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice