End caning ‘epidemic’: Amnesty to Malaysia
Washington: Amnesty International on Wednesday urged Malaysia to end a caning "epidemic”, saying that authorities have meted out the punishment to thousands of men in addition to the high-profile case of three women.
Malaysian authorities said on Wednesday that they had caned three women for having extramarital sex in violation of Islamic law, a first in the Muslim-majority country.
But Amnesty International said the case was the "just the tip of the iceberg" and that Malaysia often caned men for routine offences.
Citing Malaysian authorities, the London-based human rights group said authorities caned more than 35,000 people -- mostly non-Malaysians -- for immigration violations since 2002.
"These thousands of cases point to an epidemic of caning in Malaysia," said Donna Guest, the group`s deputy Asia-Pacific director.
"The Malaysian government needs to abolish this cruel and degrading punishment, no matter what the offence," she said in a statement.
The latest caning case will fuel a debate over rising "Islamisation" in the ethnically diverse nation, where authorities last year sentenced a mother-of-two to six strokes of the cane for drinking beer in a nightclub.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city