End caning ‘epidemic’: Amnesty to Malaysia
Washington: Amnesty International on Wednesday urged Malaysia to end a caning "epidemic”, saying that authorities have meted out the punishment to thousands of men in addition to the high-profile case of three women.
Malaysian authorities said on Wednesday that they had caned three women for having extramarital sex in violation of Islamic law, a first in the Muslim-majority country.
But Amnesty International said the case was the "just the tip of the iceberg" and that Malaysia often caned men for routine offences.
Citing Malaysian authorities, the London-based human rights group said authorities caned more than 35,000 people -- mostly non-Malaysians -- for immigration violations since 2002.
"These thousands of cases point to an epidemic of caning in Malaysia," said Donna Guest, the group`s deputy Asia-Pacific director.
"The Malaysian government needs to abolish this cruel and degrading punishment, no matter what the offence," she said in a statement.
The latest caning case will fuel a debate over rising "Islamisation" in the ethnically diverse nation, where authorities last year sentenced a mother-of-two to six strokes of the cane for drinking beer in a nightclub.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'