End `leadership of thieves` in China, urges dissident Chen
Washington: Blind dissident Chen Guangcheng is urging China`s people to end to the communist-governed nation`s "leadership of thieves" and for Washington not to "give an inch" on human rights in its relations with Beijing.
Chen made the comments as he received an award from a human rights group in a ceremony attended by several US lawmakers on Capitol Hill Tuesday.
The 41-year old lawyer caused a diplomatic crisis last April when he fled house arrest in rural China and sought refuge at the US Embassy in Beijing. China subsequently allowed him to come to the US to study law.
Chen urged an end to communist rule that "maintains a monopoly on power and enslaves the people." Republican Senator Kelly Ayotte said Chen had "bravely stood up in the face of oppression."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof