Engage China on rifts, says Indonesian leader
Washington: China needs to be brought into regional dialogue to ensure a peaceful resolution to tensions over the South China Sea, Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono said.
Speaking to US public television, the Indonesian leader acknowledged sensitivities in Southeast Asia about Beijing`s rise but said he believed that in time China "could be a good friend for everybody”.
"I think, why don`t we encourage dialogue that can also bring China in it if you can discuss how to maintain stability and order in South China Sea... I believe that we could avoid tensions in the region," Yudhoyono told `The Charlie Rose Show` in an interview broadcast late Monday.
"In my view, we should have a general talk with China that the expectations of the countries in the region to deal with anything peacefully, politically, and China should be part of that kind of framework."
China`s relations with many of its neighbours have soured in recent years due to what many view as Beijing`s new assertiveness over maritime territorial disputes, particularly with Japan and Vietnam.
China and the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations agreed in 2002 to develop a code of conduct for the South China Sea. But there has been little progress, with China seen as hoping to settle disputes one-by-one instead of negotiating with ASEAN as a whole.
Yudhoyono said he welcomed an active role by the United States in Southeast Asia. The administration of President Barack Obama, who spent part of his childhood in Indonesia, has put a renewed focus on engaging the economically dynamic region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony