Envoy was threatened, not kidnapped in Crimea: UN
Simferopol (Ukraine): A special UN envoy visiting Crimea was threatened by 10 to 15 armed men today and ordered to leave the region, where Ukraine and Russia are locked in a tense standoff, UN officials said.
Later, an Associated Press reporter found Robert Serry in the business class lounge of the Simferopol airport on today.
"I`m safe. My visit was interrupted for reasons that I cannot understand," the Dutch diplomat said in a statement to AP. He said nothing more.
Ukrainian officials reported earlier that Serry had been kidnapped. But Jan Eliasson, the UN deputy secretary-general, denied that.
Eliasson said Serry was threatened by the armed men as he was leaving naval headquarters in Crimea, but was not abducted. Eliasson said the men ordered Serry to leave Crimea and go to the airport.
Serry refused, but he couldn`t move because his car was blocked, said Eliasson.
The envoy was later spotted by reporters in a coffee shop, as men in camouflage outfits stood outside. He got into a van with the men, and was taken to Simferopol airport.
Eliasson, who is in Kiev, the Ukrainian capital, spoke to reporters at UN headquarters in New York by telephone. He said he had spoken to Serry 20 minutes earlier. Serry "is in good shape physically. He is not kidnapped," Eliasson said.
In the Netherlands, the national broadcaster aired what it said was a brief telephone conversation it had with Serry in which he said, "I am in a difficult situation here in Crimea. At the moment I am trying to find a way out."
It was not clear when the call was made.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3