Erdogan launches new attack on Israel with Hitler comparison
Istanbul: Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Saturday launched a fresh virulent attack against Israel over its actions in Gaza, comparing the mentality of some in the Jewish state to Adolf Hitler.
Erdogan, who portrays himself as the global Muslim leader who speaks up for Palestinian rights, has intensified his rhetoric against Israel over its actions in Gaza, ahead of an August 10 presidential election in Turkey.
"(Israelis) have no conscience, no honour, no pride. They curse Hitler day and night, but they have surpassed Hitler in barbarism," Erdogan told supporters at a campaign rally in the Black Sea city of Ordu.
The premier had already accused far-right Israeli politician Ayelet Shaked of sharing the same mentality as Hitler after she posted controversial remarks on social media suggesting Palestinians deserved to die.
Erdogan has spoken strongly against Israel since it launched its offensive against militants loyal to the Islamist group Hamas in Gaza that has killed more than 300 Palestinians.
He has accused the Jewish state of carrying out a "genocide" of Palestinians and has ruled out any improvement in troubled ties that soured after Israel`s 2010 raid on a Gaza-bound aid ship which killed ten Turks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'