Etch A Sketch inventor Andre Cassagnes dies at 86
London: The inventor of Etch a Sketch, Andre Cassagnes has died at the age of 86.
The Ohio Art Company, manufacturer of the red plastic toy, which creates erasable drawings by twisting two white dials, said that Cassagnes died in France last month, 53 years after his invention was launched to worldwide success.
According to the Telegraph, Larry Killgallon, the company’s president, said that “Etch A Sketch has brought much success to the Ohio Art Company, and they will be eternally grateful to Andre for that.
He said that ‘his invention brought joy to so many over such a long period of time’.
Cassagnes came up with the idea behind the Etch A Sketch in the late 1950s while he was working as an electrical technician.
His creation was spotted by Ohio Art at the Nuremberg Toy Fair in 1959.
The toy, whose grey screen can be wiped clean after each artwork by turning the toy upside down, was launched in 1960 and more than 100 million have been sold worldwide, the report said.
According to the report, Etch A Sketches were made in Ohio, where Ohio Art is based, until 2000, when the company moved production to China because of increasing costs. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow