Etch A Sketch inventor Andre Cassagnes dies at 86
London: The inventor of Etch a Sketch, Andre Cassagnes has died at the age of 86.
The Ohio Art Company, manufacturer of the red plastic toy, which creates erasable drawings by twisting two white dials, said that Cassagnes died in France last month, 53 years after his invention was launched to worldwide success.
According to the Telegraph, Larry Killgallon, the company’s president, said that “Etch A Sketch has brought much success to the Ohio Art Company, and they will be eternally grateful to Andre for that.
He said that ‘his invention brought joy to so many over such a long period of time’.
Cassagnes came up with the idea behind the Etch A Sketch in the late 1950s while he was working as an electrical technician.
His creation was spotted by Ohio Art at the Nuremberg Toy Fair in 1959.
The toy, whose grey screen can be wiped clean after each artwork by turning the toy upside down, was launched in 1960 and more than 100 million have been sold worldwide, the report said.
According to the report, Etch A Sketches were made in Ohio, where Ohio Art is based, until 2000, when the company moved production to China because of increasing costs. (ANI)
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- UK bows to pressure, will accept Syrian children from Europe
- US presidential election takes shape; Trump, Clinton look all set for final battle
- This is how Jawahar Lal Nehru reacted when asked about rumours of his second marriage
- This picture of an IAS officer has gone viral on social media - know why
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2016: Wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in class 10th X Result 2016 West Bengal Board is likely to be announced on May 10, 2016