Ethiopia appeals for food aid for 6.2 million
Addis Ababa: Ethiopia appealed on Thursday for 159,410 tons of emergency aid to feed 6.2 million people, 25 years after more than a million perished in the country`s notorious famine.
Aid workers say a five-year drought is afflicting more than 23 million people in seven east African nations.
Mitiku Kassa, Ethiopia`s State Minister for Agriculture and Rural Development, said this year`s rains were especially poor.
"As a result, the number of people needing emergency assistance during the period October-December 2009 has increased to 6.2 million from 4.9 million at beginning of the year," he said.
Ethiopia has a population of 83 million.
He appealed for 159,410 tons of food worth USD 121 million, 11 tons of fortified blended food for malnourished children and women worth USD 8.9 million, and USD 45 million in non-food needs.
UN humanitarian coordinator Fidelle Sarassaro urged the Ethiopian government to ensure free access to aid workers to the war-torn eastern Somali region.
"Access has been a challenge for the non-food sector and needs to be addressed. The subject has been under consultation with the government at all levels," he said.
Also on Thursday, aid agency Oxfam called for an end to what it called "knee-jerk" reactions to food crises that focused on sending food aid. While food did save lives, it failed to offer longer-term solutions.
Oxfam said communities at risk should be helped to prevent and deal with disasters like drought before they strike, rather than relying mostly on short-term emergency relief supplies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video