Ethiopia jails 10 terrorists for plotting attacks
Addis Ababa: An Ethiopian court has sentenced 10 men to jail terms from between three to 20 years for plotting terror attacks with Islamist extremist rebels from neighboring Somalia.
Among those sentenced is a Kenyan national, Hassan Jarso who pleaded guilty when charged in May.
Federal court Judge Bahiru Darecha today sentenced Jarso to 17 years in prison. Eleven men were originally charged with the terror-related crimes but one was acquitted. Six of the men were sentenced in absentia.
The sentences come amid signs of increasing militancy in the East African nation. Ethiopian troops moved into Somalia in 2011 to fight the Islamist extremist rebels, al-Shabab.
Ethiopia`s intelligence agency said early January that 15 people were arrested as alleged members of a terror cell linked to al-Shabab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief