Ethiopia jails 10 terrorists for plotting attacks
Addis Ababa: An Ethiopian court has sentenced 10 men to jail terms from between three to 20 years for plotting terror attacks with Islamist extremist rebels from neighboring Somalia.
Among those sentenced is a Kenyan national, Hassan Jarso who pleaded guilty when charged in May.
Federal court Judge Bahiru Darecha today sentenced Jarso to 17 years in prison. Eleven men were originally charged with the terror-related crimes but one was acquitted. Six of the men were sentenced in absentia.
The sentences come amid signs of increasing militancy in the East African nation. Ethiopian troops moved into Somalia in 2011 to fight the Islamist extremist rebels, al-Shabab.
Ethiopia`s intelligence agency said early January that 15 people were arrested as alleged members of a terror cell linked to al-Shabab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside