Ethiopia jails 10 terrorists for plotting attacks
Addis Ababa: An Ethiopian court has sentenced 10 men to jail terms from between three to 20 years for plotting terror attacks with Islamist extremist rebels from neighboring Somalia.
Among those sentenced is a Kenyan national, Hassan Jarso who pleaded guilty when charged in May.
Federal court Judge Bahiru Darecha today sentenced Jarso to 17 years in prison. Eleven men were originally charged with the terror-related crimes but one was acquitted. Six of the men were sentenced in absentia.
The sentences come amid signs of increasing militancy in the East African nation. Ethiopian troops moved into Somalia in 2011 to fight the Islamist extremist rebels, al-Shabab.
Ethiopia`s intelligence agency said early January that 15 people were arrested as alleged members of a terror cell linked to al-Shabab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details