Ethiopia jails 10 terrorists for plotting attacks
Addis Ababa: An Ethiopian court has sentenced 10 men to jail terms from between three to 20 years for plotting terror attacks with Islamist extremist rebels from neighboring Somalia.
Among those sentenced is a Kenyan national, Hassan Jarso who pleaded guilty when charged in May.
Federal court Judge Bahiru Darecha today sentenced Jarso to 17 years in prison. Eleven men were originally charged with the terror-related crimes but one was acquitted. Six of the men were sentenced in absentia.
The sentences come amid signs of increasing militancy in the East African nation. Ethiopian troops moved into Somalia in 2011 to fight the Islamist extremist rebels, al-Shabab.
Ethiopia`s intelligence agency said early January that 15 people were arrested as alleged members of a terror cell linked to al-Shabab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- LinkedIn notifies data breach, alerts 400 mn members to stay safe
- Eating out, mobile bills, internet, travelling set to get costlier from June 1
- 7 hot tips to stay fit and healthy!
- Barack Obama lays wreath at Hiroshima Memorial, says death fell from the sky and the world changed
- North Korea slams Obama's 'childish' Hiroshima visit