Ethiopia parliament elects Mulatu Teshome as new president
Addis Ababa: Ethiopia`s parliament elected Mulatu Teshome to be the country`s new president on Monday, for a six-year term in a largely symbolic and ceremonial post.
"Following the opening of the new parliament, a joint session of the House of Representatives and House of Federation elected Ambassador Dr Mulatu Teshome as the President of Ethiopia," the foreign ministry said in a statement.
While officially head of state, real power rests in the hands of the Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn.
Mulatu, 57, who was Ethiopia`s ambassador to Turkey until his appointment, replaces 88-year old Girma Wolde Giorgis, who first took the post in 2001 and was reelected in 2007.
Mulatu, who like all Ethiopia is known by his first name, comes from the Oromo people, the country`s largest ethnic group.
He has also served as Ethiopia`s ambassador to China and Japan as well as Ethiopia`s Minister of Agriculture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?