Ethiopian troops cross into Somalia: witnesses
Nairobi: Several hundred Ethiopian troops
crossed on Saturday into southern and central Somalia, local elders
said, but Addis Ababa dismissed the reports as "absolutely not
"There are several hundred Ethiopian troops here in
lorries and some armoured vehicles too," said elder Abdi
Ibrahim Warsame, speaking by telephone from Gurel town, in
Somalia`s central Galgudud region.
Ethiopian forces were also reported in the Hiran region
at the town of Beletweyne, some 30 kilometres into Somalia, an
area contested by Islamist Shebab rebels and pro-government
"They are here, the Ethiopian soldiers in trucks have
reached Beletweyne with many forces," said elder Ahmed Liban.
"The Shebab in the area are pulling back, away from them."
But Ethiopia dismissed the reports outright.
"It is absolutely not true, there are absolutely no
troops in Somalia," said Ethiopian foreign ministry spokesman Dina
Mufti. "People are simply speculating."
Small numbers of Ethiopian forces have been reported
operating in Somali border regions in the recent past, but
witnesses said the scale of troop movements was this time far
If confirmed, it would be Addis Ababa`s first large scale
incursion since it invaded Somalia in 2006 with US backing.
Ethiopia pulled out three years later after failing to
restore order in its lawless neighbour, which has lacked a
functioning government for two decades.
The Galgudud area is largely under the control of an
anti-Shebab militia called Ahlu Sunna wal Jamaa, factions of
which have close ties with Ethiopia.
Ethiopian soldiers were reported to be up to 50
kilometres inside Somalia in that area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’