Ethnic clashes in Kenya kill over 48
Nairobi: At least 48 people, including 11 children, were killed in clashes involving two communities in Kenya, police said Wednesday.
The clash between the Pokomo and Orma communities took place overnight in the Tana river region of southeast Kenya, Xinhua reported.
Many people were injured and several houses were burnt down, police said.
Several livestock belonging to the Ormas were slashed to death.
The Pokomos are farmers and the Ormas are pastoralists, and have been fighting over pastureland for some time now, police said.
The Ormas` cattle had strayed into farmlands owned by the Pokomos, and in the process destroyed crops. This prompted the Pokomos to attack the Orma herdsmen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed