Ethnic tensions hindering aid work in Kyrgyzstan: UN
Geneva: Inter-ethnic tensions in southern
Kyrgyzstan are hindering the work of humanitarian agencies,
the UN said on Tuesday, as it stepped up its relief work to 400,000
refugees and displaced in the region.
"The situation remains tense in Kyrgyzstan. Security is
still not absolute, notably in Osh, where barricades remain,"
said Elisabeth Byrs, spokeswoman of the UN Office for the
Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.
"This question of insecurity and tension has made (aid)
distributions difficult, humanitarian operations are hindered
even though the UN and its partners are increasing the scale
of their assistance," she said.
According to the spokeswoman, more than 30 aid planes
have arrived in Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan since the beginning
of ethnic clashes this month in Kyrgyzstan between the Kyrgyz
majority and Uzbek minority.
Up to 2,000 people have been killed in the violence,
according to Kyrgyz authorities.
Another plane will leave Geneva tomorrow, said Byrs.
The UN is ensuring that both the Kyrgyz and Uzbek
communities are receiving help, said Byrs, noting that aid
agencies are facing a problem of winning the confidence of the
The World Health Organisation also said that "providing
medical aid to Uzbek or Kyrgyz communities along the border
with Uzbekistan is a particular challenge."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened