Etna volcano erupts, lighting up sky over Sicily
Rome: Mount Etna, Europe`s most active volcano, has erupted again, lighting up the sky over much of eastern Sicily and shooting up a towering column of ash.
The eruption, which began late yesterday and tapered off today morning, didn`t endanger any of villages dotting the mountain`s slopes, and no evacuation was ordered.
The airport in nearby Catania said two air space sectors above the volcano were closed to flights, but that the airport itself was operating normally, including takeoffs and departures.
Etna erupts occasionally. Its last major eruption occurred in 1992.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- VIDEOS: MS Dhoni's wife Sakshi shares her adorable moments with daughter Ziva
- 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed announces 'jihad to free Pakistani rivers from India'
- Chinese ship inaugurates expanded Panama Canal
- Euro 2016: Germany cruise into last eight with 3-0 Slovakia win
- Security in Kashmir reviewed following Pampore attack; Amarnath Yatra to begin soon