EU approves possible military operation for Libya
Brussels: The European Council Friday approved the decision to mount an EU military operation to support humanitarian efforts in Libya.
"The EU will, if requested by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), conduct a military operation in...order to support humanitarian assistance in the region," the council statement read.
"The aim of the operation would be to contribute to the safe movement and evacuation of displaced persons and to support the humanitarian agencies in their activities with specific capabilities," it said.
EUFOR Libya can only be deployed if the council adopts another decision approving the force`s terms of engagement, the statement added.
The Libyan political crisis, which evolved into military clashes between opponents and supporters of the country`s longtime ruler Muammar Gaddafi, began in mid-February. The conflict has already left thousands of people dead and forced many more to flee the country.
UN Security Council Resolution 1973, adopted March 17, imposed a no-fly zone over Libya and authorized measures to protect civilians from Gaddafi`s forces, but stopped short of authorizing ground operations in the North African country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video