EU backs humanitarian action in Syria
Brussels: The European Union says protecting civilians caught up in Syria`s crackdown on anti-government protests "is an increasingly urgent and important aspect" of responding to the bloodshed there.
But it stopped short Thursday of endorsing French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe`s call for EU-backed humanitarian corridors to allow humanitarian groups a way in.
Maja Kocijancic, an EU spokeswoman, said the bloc stands ready to engage with representatives of the Syrian opposition "who adhere to nonviolence and democratic values."
After a meeting Tuesday with the leader of the opposition Syrian National Council, Juppe said France would propose that the EU help launch humanitarian corridors or zones to provide ways for organizations like the Red Cross a way in.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’