EU blames US, China, India for Copenhagen failure
New Delhi: The European Union (EU) on Monday blamed India, China and United States for the failure of last month’s Copenhagen Climate meeting.
Addressing a press conference here, EU delegation head in India, Danièle Smadja, claimed that some countries failed to put their domestic interests on the backburner during the climate talks.
“I think it had it had to do with the fact that unfortunately many countries in the world who have today a very fundamental influence on climate change,” she said.
“They are not inspired by leading the world. They are more inspired by protecting their interest,” Smadja added.
She said such efforts are fair enough, but the US, India and China failed to rise above domestic constraints.
“So, it is clear that neither the United States, nor China not India were really in a position, because of their domestic constraints. So we (EU) were not in a position to be the leader,” Smadja said.
She claimed that these countries had a fair chance to be the front-runners but put their domestic constraints above all else.
Smadja said the EU is analysing facts and would come up with a fresh round of negotiation.
“There was a difference between the frontrunner and the leader, and we were so unfortunate that by leading by example and by being the front runner, other big emitters were followers,” Smadja said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in