EU blames US, China, India for Copenhagen failure
New Delhi: The European Union (EU) on Monday blamed India, China and United States for the failure of last month’s Copenhagen Climate meeting.
Addressing a press conference here, EU delegation head in India, Danièle Smadja, claimed that some countries failed to put their domestic interests on the backburner during the climate talks.
“I think it had it had to do with the fact that unfortunately many countries in the world who have today a very fundamental influence on climate change,” she said.
“They are not inspired by leading the world. They are more inspired by protecting their interest,” Smadja added.
She said such efforts are fair enough, but the US, India and China failed to rise above domestic constraints.
“So, it is clear that neither the United States, nor China not India were really in a position, because of their domestic constraints. So we (EU) were not in a position to be the leader,” Smadja said.
She claimed that these countries had a fair chance to be the front-runners but put their domestic constraints above all else.
Smadja said the EU is analysing facts and would come up with a fresh round of negotiation.
“There was a difference between the frontrunner and the leader, and we were so unfortunate that by leading by example and by being the front runner, other big emitters were followers,” Smadja said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand