EU calls for `rapid progress` on Iran nuclear issue
Brussels: The European Union urged Iran`s new president on Monday to make "rapid progress" towards resolving concerns over the country`s disputed nuclear programme after he struck an apparently more conciliatory stance.
The West is hoping that President Hassan Rowhani will take a more constructive approach in the long-running talks on Tehran`s nuclear drive, which despite Iranian denials is suspected by world powers of having military objectives.
Yesterday, he repeated his campaign promise to help Iranians who are struggling under the weight of US and EU economic sanctions and called for "mutual respect" with the West, striking a sharply different tone from his predecessor.
"We take note of the new President`s words," said Michael Mann, spokesman for EU foreign affairs head Catherine Ashton, who has led talks with Tehran on the nuclear dispute.
"We hope that the new Iranian government will be prepared to make rapid progress towards addressing international concerns about its nuclear programme and engage constructively on the (P5+1) proposal for confidence-building," Mann said.
Western powers believe the Iranian nuclear programme is being used to develop an atomic bomb, but Tehran insists it is for peaceful purposes.
In his inaugural speech yesterday, the new president said Iranians were under "a lot of economic pressure" because of tough US and EU sanctions over Iran`s refusal to stop uranium enrichment.
"The only path to interact with Iran is through negotiations on equal grounds, reciprocal trust-building, mutual respect and reducing hostilities," he said.
"If you want a proper answer, do not speak with Iran with the language of sanctions but with the language of respect," Rowhani added.
The White House said Iran would find the United States a "willing partner" if Rowhani was serious.
Ashton is lead negotiator with Iran for the P5+1 group, which is made up of the five permanent UN Security Council members, Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States plus Germany.
She met Iran`s top nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili in Istanbul in May for talks he described as "long and useful" after fruitless discussions the previous month in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
US and EU sanctions have crippled Iran`s once lucrative oil sector, cut its access to global banking and contributed to soaring inflation and a shrinking economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception