EU commissioner slams airport body scanners
Brussels: The nominee to become the EU`s top justice official slammed on Thursday the quick introduction of body scanners at airports, saying the devices could invade travellers` privacy.
"I am convinced that body scanners have a considerable privacy-invasive potential. Their usefulness is still to be proven," said Viviane Reding, who is currently EU telecoms commissioner but in line to take over the justice post.
"Their impact on health has not yet been fully assessed. Therefore I cannot imagine this privacy-intrusive technique being imposed on us without full consideration of its impact," she said in a speech in Brussels.
The United States has accelerated the installation of body scanners at airports since the attempted Christmas Day attack on a jet bound for Detroit from Amsterdam.
It wants the EU to follow suit to monitor passengers crossing the Atlantic.
Several European countries, including Britain and the Netherlands, are to install the scanners after Nigerian Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab was charged with trying to down the passenger plane.
But other EU nations are cool on the idea despite the US pressure, and the EU commission wants to see health and efficiency studies on the machines before looking at rules to introduce them across the bloc.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley