EU commissioner warns of jihadist influx if Iraq retakes Mosul
Berlin: The EU`s security commissioner warned Tuesday that Europe must be prepared for a new influx of Islamic State jihadists if Iraqi forces retake the group`s stronghold of Mosul.
"The retaking of the IS` northern Iraq stronghold, Mosul, may lead to the return to Europe of violent IS-fighters," Julian King told Die Welt daily in remarks published in German.
He said even a handful of jihadists returning would pose a "serious threat that we must prepare ourselves for".
Iraqi forces are advancing in an offensive aimed at retaking Mosul and dealing a death blow to the IS group`s "caliphate" in the city where it was declared two years ago.
Some 30,000 federal forces are leading the offensive, backed by air and ground support from a 60-nation US-led coalition, in what is expected to be a long and difficult assault on IS`s last major Iraqi stronghold.
The jihadists have suffered a string of territorial defeats this year in both countries, and the retaking of Mosul would all but end their presence in Iraq as a land-holding force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters