EU condemns attacks in Syria
The UN Security Council strongly condemned several terrorist attacks perpetrated in Syria since Wednesday.
Damascus: The European Union (EU) on Friday condemned recent attacks in Syria.
"I join the UN Security Council in condemning the recent attacks in Syria in the southern town of Deraa and in Damascus," said EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton in her statement.
"The twin bomb attacks in Damascus occurred just before 8 am at rush hour time with commuters travelling to work and children to school. The timing indicates that the attacks were intended to inflict a maximum number of casualties and damage," she said.
She said: "The scenes of devastation after the explosion show that no thought was given to sparing innocent lives. I express my sincere condolences to the victims and the families of the victims of these acts of terrorism that took so many lives and injured more than a hundred people."
Ashton said the Wednesday`s roadside bomb attack as a convoy of the UN Supervision Mission in Syria (UNSMIS) entering Deraa was another demonstration of the difficult conditions under which the mission operates.
"As the UN Secretary General stated to the Security Council earlier this week, the unending wave of violence makes Special Envoy Kofi Annan`s mission to strive for peace and calm all the more difficult. His six point plan is the only way forward to find a peaceful solution to the crisis in Syria," she added.
The UN Security Council on Thursday strongly condemned several terrorist attacks perpetrated in Syria since Wednesday, which left at least 55 people killed and hundreds injured.