EU defers decision on body scanner at airports
Madrid: The European Union will decide on installation of full-body scanners at airports in June after a consensus among the member countries, a EU official said.
Following some member countries` reticence, the 27-member organisaton postponed for June a decision to introduce full-body scanners at airports as part of enhanced security measures aimed at preventing terror attacks.
The European Commission will present in April a report on the use of the controversial devices that will serve as a base to draw conclusions in June, said EU Transportation Commissioner Siim Kallas.
Besides health and privacy-related issues, the document would include an analysis on the legal effects of the measure.
The result is expected to be a code of conduct guaranteeing that the images are immediately destroyed and that no selective control is carried out on race, gender or any other grounds, he said.
The installation of the equipment was promoted by the US in the wake of the failed terror attempt to explode an American plane in December last year.
The EU ministers of transportation met in Spain and reached an agreement Friday that they will discuss the issue thoroughly in its Council of Ministers to be held in June, Prensa Latina reported.
The ministers agreed to draft a regulation taking into account the reluctance of some member countries, including France and Germany, to introduce the system due to its possible effect on the travellers` health and breach of privacy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!