EU defers decision on body scanner at airports
Madrid: The European Union will decide on installation of full-body scanners at airports in June after a consensus among the member countries, a EU official said.
Following some member countries` reticence, the 27-member organisaton postponed for June a decision to introduce full-body scanners at airports as part of enhanced security measures aimed at preventing terror attacks.
The European Commission will present in April a report on the use of the controversial devices that will serve as a base to draw conclusions in June, said EU Transportation Commissioner Siim Kallas.
Besides health and privacy-related issues, the document would include an analysis on the legal effects of the measure.
The result is expected to be a code of conduct guaranteeing that the images are immediately destroyed and that no selective control is carried out on race, gender or any other grounds, he said.
The installation of the equipment was promoted by the US in the wake of the failed terror attempt to explode an American plane in December last year.
The EU ministers of transportation met in Spain and reached an agreement Friday that they will discuss the issue thoroughly in its Council of Ministers to be held in June, Prensa Latina reported.
The ministers agreed to draft a regulation taking into account the reluctance of some member countries, including France and Germany, to introduce the system due to its possible effect on the travellers` health and breach of privacy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report