EU eases its sanctions against Zimbabwe after vote
Brussels: The European Union is further easing sanctions against Zimbabwe after the country`s successful referendum on a new constitution.
EU foreign affairs chief Catherine Ashton announced today that the 27 member nations would immediately suspend sanctions against 81 individuals and eight entities. President Robert Mugabe, his top military and police commanders, and members of his administration remain on the sanctions list.
Ashton`s statement said "a number of key decision makers will remain subject to restrictive measures until peaceful, transparent and credible elections have been achieved."
The EU has always said Zimbabwe needs to be rewarded to maintain its pace of reforms, but still wants to keep the pressure on.
Despite the sanctions relief, Ashton complained about "recent reports of intimidation and harassment against some political activists and civil society representatives."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks