EU foreign policy chief holds `useful` talks with Lavrov over Ukraine
Madrid: EU foreign policy Chief Catherine Ashton held "useful" talks in Madrid today with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov over the spiralling crisis in Ukraine, a European source said.
"We had a useful discussion which lasted over an hour," a European diplomatic source quoted Ashton as saying after the meeting held in the Russian ambassador`s residence in Madrid.
The Russian foreign minister then met Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy and Spanish King Juan Carlos.
Lavrov is scheduled to meet Spanish Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Garcia Margallo tomorrow.
Earlier today, Lavrov said that threats of sanctions against Moscow were counter-productive and would not change its position on the Ukraine crisis.
"Our position is honest and... Will not change," he told a news conference in Tunisia, where he was on an official visit.
"We have always opposed the policy of unilateral sanctions. I hope our partners understand that such actions are counter-productive."
Western powers have been wrestling with how to respond to Russia`s threat to use force against Ukraine, where President Viktor Yanukovych was driven from power following three months of protests that culminated in days of carnage.
EU foreign ministers warned Moscow yesterday to de-escalate or risk sanctions, including the suspension of long-running talks on easing EU visa requirements for Russian citizens. EU leaders are meeting to discuss the crisis on Thursday.
Washington has suspended military cooperation with Moscow, and the Kremlin has responded to US warnings, saying sanctions against Russia "would end in a crash for the financial system of the United States".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?