EU gives $85 mn humanitarian aid to Syria
Brussels: The European Commission announced Sunday the allocation of an additional 65 million euros ($84.5 million) in humanitarian aid to war-torn Syria.
“The additional funding will be spent inside Syria, to assist the more than four million people who have been forced to flee their homes, and in neighbouring countries that have generously welcomed some 1.4 million refugees,” the European Commission said in a statement.
The funds will be spent on emergency healthcare services, and also shelter, food, water, sanitation and basic household items.
The EU has previously allocated over 300 million euros in humanitarian aid to Syria.
"Violence, insecurity and the fight for survival now overwhelm the daily lives of millions of people.
Europe has and will continue to help those affected, and this new funding will provide at least some respite to the victims of this terrible conflict,” Humanitarian Aid Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva was quoted as saying in the statement.
Syria has been locked in an increasingly bloody civil war since demonstrations broke out against President Bashar al-Assad in March 2011.
According to UN estimates, at least 70,000 people have been killed in the conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH