EU invites Iran for new n-talks again
Brussels: The European External Action Service (EEAS) has invited Iran to hold a new round of talks on its controversial nuclear programme in February, a spokesman said Wednesday.
The EEAS, which brokers contacts with Iran on behalf of the "sextet" of international mediators, hoped to see the next round of six-party talks on Iran take place Jan 28-29 in Istanbul, but Iran did not agree to the proposal.
"We have proposed a new date in February and we are waiting for a response from the Iranians," said Michael Mann, chief spokesman for EU High Representative Catherine Ashton.
Iran and the group of countries comprising Britain, China, France, Russia, the US and Germany (known as P5+1) have held three rounds of talks over the Iranian nuclear issue last year, following a one-year break in the negotiations.
These talks, however, did not result in a breakthrough, as the sides cannot agree on the true nature of Tehran`s nuclear ambitions.
The US, Israel and some of their allies accuse Iran of pursuing military objectives in its nuclear energy program.
Iran rejects these allegations, arguing that as a signatory to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and as a member of the International Atomic Energy Agency, it is entitled to develop and acquire nuclear technology for peaceful purposes.
Russia has repeatedly expressed concern over the slow pace of the nuclear talks with Iran, and stressed the need for the new meeting to be held as soon as possible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS