EU invites Iran for new n-talks again
Brussels: The European External Action Service (EEAS) has invited Iran to hold a new round of talks on its controversial nuclear programme in February, a spokesman said Wednesday.
The EEAS, which brokers contacts with Iran on behalf of the "sextet" of international mediators, hoped to see the next round of six-party talks on Iran take place Jan 28-29 in Istanbul, but Iran did not agree to the proposal.
"We have proposed a new date in February and we are waiting for a response from the Iranians," said Michael Mann, chief spokesman for EU High Representative Catherine Ashton.
Iran and the group of countries comprising Britain, China, France, Russia, the US and Germany (known as P5+1) have held three rounds of talks over the Iranian nuclear issue last year, following a one-year break in the negotiations.
These talks, however, did not result in a breakthrough, as the sides cannot agree on the true nature of Tehran`s nuclear ambitions.
The US, Israel and some of their allies accuse Iran of pursuing military objectives in its nuclear energy program.
Iran rejects these allegations, arguing that as a signatory to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and as a member of the International Atomic Energy Agency, it is entitled to develop and acquire nuclear technology for peaceful purposes.
Russia has repeatedly expressed concern over the slow pace of the nuclear talks with Iran, and stressed the need for the new meeting to be held as soon as possible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Manipur HSLC Result 2016, BSEM HSLC Class 10th Results 2016, Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016 to be declared on May 24
- Sensex falls for 4th day on Fed rate hike caution
- Divyanka Tripathi, Vivek Dahiya to marry on July 8
- Ageing is not bad at all, Sushmita Sen explains why!
- Open spaces in Delhi, NCR could be used by anti-national elements, say security agencies