EU, Japan stress common ground on global security
Brussels: The European Union and Japan stressed Wednesday their common ground on global security issues, highlighted by the Ukraine crisis, promising to step up cooperation and seal a massive free trade deal.
EU president Herman Van Rompuy said talks with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe showed both sides to be "like-minded", notably on Ukraine where both men urged Russia to reverse course or face further sanctions.
The two sides rejected Russia`s illegal annexation of Crimea and called on Moscow to "refrain from further steps" to escalate the crisis, Van Rompuy told a press conference.
Abe`s visit to Brussels, topping a nine-day six country trip to Europe, "demonstrates how much value Japan attaches to our relationship," Van Rompuy said, flanked by European Commission head Jose Manuel Barroso.
A Strategic Partnership Agreement being negotiated will "enhance the security partnership," with Japan participating in EU crisis management operations and its efforts to counter terrorism and piracy.
Van Rompuy said talks on a free trade deal, however, were at a critical phase as the EU reviewed their progress amid concerns European companies, especially automakers, may not get adequate access to the Japanese market.
Barroso said he hoped and expected the review would give the all-clear and the talks could be speeded up, with Abe hoping for a conclusion in 2015.
Some concerns "are only normal," Barroso said, adding: "I am really confident of making a great success of this agreement."
For his part, Abe highlighted Japan`s increased global engagement, enshrined in his "proactive contribution to peace" policy.
The EU and Japan were "responding to global issues together," Abe said through an interpreter, adding that they "shared a common approach based on international cooperation."
Abe alluded to Japan`s concerns at the rising power of China and the many territorial disputes roiling relations with its giant neighbour and across Asia, stressing that they needed to be resolved peacefully.
Van Rompuy, asked about such disputes, said Brussels hoped all sides would stick to that line.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly