EU lawmakers seek to extend Iran sanctions
Brussels: European Union lawmakers sought to pressure the bloc`s chief diplomat Tuesday to step up sanctions against Iran after failed talks over its disputed nuclear drive.
After EU High Representative Catherine Ashton "left Istanbul empty-handed last weekend," Scottish Conservative Struan Stevenson called for the European Union "to impose tougher sanctions on the clerical regime for its flagrant human rights violations, continuous drive to acquire nuclear weapons and export of terrorism."
Leading Spanish MEP Alejo Vidal-Quadras added that the ongoing "soft" approach to talks between Western powers and Tehran would only prove "futile," after the pair and others met with Iranian opposition figures in Brussels and US backers of an Iranian opposition movement.
The call comes as diplomats and analysts query whether fresh sanctions should be applied by the West over Iran`s disputed nuclear drive, after the latest talks between world powers collapsed in Istanbul at the weekend.
Nuclear talks in Istanbul between Iran and the so-called P5+1 -- UN Security Council permanent members Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States, plus Germany -- failed to yield results at their close on Saturday.
The dialogue was aimed at ascertaining whether Iran`s contentious nuclear drive masks a weapons drive as suspected by the West, but staunchly denied by the Islamic republic.
The People`s Mujahedeen, a left-wing and Islamic movement, was founded in 1965 in opposition to the shah and has subsequently fought to oust the clerical regime that took power in Iran`s 1979 Islamic revolution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?