EU leaders order tougher sanctions against Russia
Brussels: European Union leaders ordered tougher sanctions against Russia because of its actions in Ukraine, asking the European Investment Bank to sign no new financing agreements with Moscow.
The leaders, meeting in Brussels, also agreed to act together to suspend financing of the new European Bank for Reconstruction and Development operations in Russia.
European leaders yesterday also signaled their willingness for the first time to go after Russian companies "that are materially or financially supporting actions undermining or threatening Ukraine`s sovereignty, territorial integrity and independence." They ordered their foreign ministers to draw up a list of such people or entities by the end of July.
In a decision that could affect Russian oligarchs or members of the Kremlin inner circle, the EU leaders also asked the ministers to consider targeting people or companies "who actively provide material or financial support to the Russian decision-makers responsible for the annexation of Crimea or the destabilization of Eastern Ukraine."
Until now, the EU had targeted 72 people in Ukraine and Russia with asset freezes and visa bans, as well as two Crimea-based companies whose assets in EU member countries were ordered frozen.
The ramped-up sanctions indicated European leaders` exasperation over Russia`s failure to heed the demands they made at their last summit on June 27 to take specific actions to end the armed pro-Moscow revolt in Ukraine`s east.
The leaders also asked the EU`s executive arm, the Commission, to consider on a case-by-case basis whether EU-Russian cooperation programs with Russia should be suspended, except those dealing with cross-border cooperation and security.
They also requested recommendations on how to restrict investment in Crimea, which the EU accuses Moscow of annexing illegally by force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre