EU looks to reassure Russia on Ukraine trade deal
Brussels: Ukraine, Russia and the European Union sat down on Friday for a first round of talks intended to reassure Moscow on the consequences of tighter trade links between Kiev and Brussels.
Late last month, Ukraine and the EU signed a long-delayed Association Agreement -- the very deal whose last-minute refusal last year by then president Viktor Yanukovych plunged the country into chaos.
The agreement opens up Ukraine to EU imports. Moscow worries this will also allow cheap European products to flood into Russia, which has its own free-trade deal with Kiev.
EU Trade Commissioner Karel De Gucht said the parties agreed to address Russia`s concerns at a high level over the coming weeks, with a new ministerial meeting set for September 12.
"All parties agreed to engage in this process in good faith," De Gucht said after the talks with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavlo Klymkin and Russia`s Economic Development Minister Alexei Ulyukayev.
After the meeting, Ulyukayev said the association deal carried "dangers for the Russian economy," but that the parties had agreed on a framework for more talks.
Moscow has announced trade measures against Kiev, including a ban on dairy imports, since the EU deal was signed amid ongoing battles between Ukrainian government forces and pro-Russian separatists in the restive east.
Brussels has also brokered talks over a bitter gas-price dispute between Kiev and Moscow that has threatened to stop the flow of energy from Russia to the EU.
Separately today, Brussels slapped a travel ban and asset freeze on 11 people allegedly linked to the violence in eastern Ukraine, bringing the total number of people on the EU`s sanctions blacklist to 72.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in