EU nations divided on use of airport body scanners
Brussels: European nations were sharply
divided on Thursday over the need to install full-body scanners at
European airports, with some EU members playing down the need
for beefed-up security measures.
Italy today joined the United States, Britain and the
Netherlands as nations who have announced plans to install the
scanners following a Nigerian man`s reported attempt to blow
up a US airliner flying from Amsterdam to Detroit on Christmas
Washington is seeking enhanced security measures on all
trans-Atlantic flights heading for the United States. That`s a
huge task, however, since European airports carry thousands of
passengers on over 800 flights a day across the lucrative
North Atlantic route.
But as EU aviation security experts met today on the
subject of scanners, Belgium`s secretary of state for
transport, Etiennne Schouppe, described such enhanced measures
as "excessive," saying security requirements at European
airports are already "strict enough."
Spain too has expressed skepticism about the need for
body scanners, and the German and French governments remain
German Interior Ministry spokesman Stefan Paris said EU
rules on flight safety need to be changed first before
scanners can be used.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read