‘EU President to be paid more than Obama’
London: The new President of the European Council will earn more than what American President Barack Obama is paid.
According to leaked documents, Herman Van Rompuy and his hangers-on will be paid a whopping GBP 22.5million, reports the News of the World.
And another GBP 252 million will be spent on erecting a grand palace.
Van Rompuy will be paid GBP 273,814 a year, while Obama earns GBP 250,000.
His salary, travel and entitlements will amount to GBP 1.3 million.
The Belgian, who started work on Friday, occupied Europe’s highest office after defeating Tony Blair in November 2009.
And the total outlay of money is mind boggling, with GBP 2.1million for security, GBP 2.3 million for equipment, GBP 6.2 million for summits and GBP 5.2 million for 22 staff.
A GBP 4.5 million reserve fund will be maintained and GBP 252 million will be used to convert the Brussels palace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources