‘EU President to be paid more than Obama’
London: The new President of the European Council will earn more than what American President Barack Obama is paid.
According to leaked documents, Herman Van Rompuy and his hangers-on will be paid a whopping GBP 22.5million, reports the News of the World.
And another GBP 252 million will be spent on erecting a grand palace.
Van Rompuy will be paid GBP 273,814 a year, while Obama earns GBP 250,000.
His salary, travel and entitlements will amount to GBP 1.3 million.
The Belgian, who started work on Friday, occupied Europe’s highest office after defeating Tony Blair in November 2009.
And the total outlay of money is mind boggling, with GBP 2.1million for security, GBP 2.3 million for equipment, GBP 6.2 million for summits and GBP 5.2 million for 22 staff.
A GBP 4.5 million reserve fund will be maintained and GBP 252 million will be used to convert the Brussels palace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'