EU reform not `piece of cake`: Merkel to Britain
London: German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Thursday that she can work with Britain to reform the European Union but it will not be "a piece of cake", BBC reported.
Merkel, following a Downing Street meeting with British Prime Minister David Cameron, said both the nations could bring in laws to curb benefit tourism, as part of "overall European cooperation". She is on a day-long visit to London.
Cameron, on the other side, said changes to the EU were "possible, achievable and doable". He is keen to negotiate changes to Britain`s treaties with the EU ahead of a promised referendum on whether the country should remain in the organisation, which he wants to hold before the end of 2017.
He views Merkel as a key figure in achieving his aim.
Merkel addressed Parliament earlier and later had tea with the Queen at Buckingham Palace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof