EU-Russia ties at risk failing de-escalation: Ministers
Brussels: The European Union warned on Monday that EU-Russia ties were at risk if Moscow failed to de-escalate tensions in Ukraine.
"In the absence of de-escalating steps by Russia the EU shall decide about consequences for bilateral relations of EU and Russia," said a statement obtained by a news agency that was agreed by the bloc`s 28 foreign ministers at hastily-convened crisis talks on Ukraine.
The statement cited as an example talks that have long been under way with the Russian authorities on easing EU visa requirements for the country`s citizens, as well as a new cooperation agreement.
It made no mention of an arms embargo or other punitive measures suggested in the original draft statement put to the ministers, which was also seen by a news agency earlier.
German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said at the close of the talks that "if Russia does not decide credible and fast contributions for de-escalation we will have to take decisions which will concern the relations between Russia and the EU".
The statement also condemned "the clear violation of Ukraine`s sovereignty and territorial integrity".
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said that failing swift and concrete measures, "a whole series of contacts will be cut".
"If there is no de-escalation before Thursday, these measures will take effect," he said, confirming that the EU is likely to call a crisis summit gathering its heads of state and government in Brussels that day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof