`EU sanctions on Iran to harm European economy`
Tehran: Iran has said the new European Union sanctions against the Islamic republic would further destabilise the already-worsening European economy, Xinhua reported.
According to Iran`s foreign ministry spokesperson Ramin Mehmanparast, the restrictions contravene the international law and regulations, including the freedom of trade and financial transactions between countries, Press TV reported Wednesday.
The EU slapped fresh sanctions against Iran Monday, including banning import of natural gas from Iran "over lack of progress in nuclear talks".
It also stressed a diplomatic solution to the Iranian nuclear issue while urging the country to "comply with all its international obligations".
The EU insistence on using "threadbare and uncivilised tools" instead of diplomacy and negotiations based on mutual respect will only further complicate the matters at hand, Mehmanparast said.
"This approach will not only fail to help resolve issues, but will also have a negative impact on the European economy at the time of present economic crisis and the Europe should be ready to face its consequences," Mehmanparast added.
The West has been accusing Iran of secretly developing nuclear weapons under civilian disguise, a charge that Tehran denies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan