EU set to approve new sanctions on Iran
Brussels: EU leaders are set to adopt a new set of sanctions against Iran Thursday in a further effort to stall its disputed nuclear program.
The additional restrictions, due to be approved during a summit focused primarily on economic issues, will target Iran`s oil industry, shipping and air cargo companies, and dual-use products that could be utilized as part of the nuclear program. More sanctions will also be imposed on trade insurance and financial transactions.
British Prime Minister David Cameron said on Thursday that Europe needs to play a full role in international efforts.
This means "making sure that we have a strong package of sanctions against Iran, something that is going to be discussed today," he said. "We believe it is incredibly important."
The new EU measures will strengthen those adopted last week by the UN Security Council, after Iran rebuffed a plan to suspend uranium enrichment and swap its stockpiles of low-enriched uranium for fuel rods.
The UN is seeking to disrupt the money flow to Iran`s Revolutionary Guard. It calls for an asset freeze on 40 additional companies and organizations involved in nuclear or ballistic missile activities.
At a meeting of EU foreign ministers in Luxembourg on Monday, the bloc`s foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said the door remains open for negotiations with Tehran.
She said she had invited Iran`s top nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili to discuss the issue. EU officials said Tehran was expected to accept the invitation and that talks could resume later this summer.
The United States, Israel and other nations fear that Iran will continue to upgrade its uranium enrichment program until it can produce a nuclear weapon. Iran says it only seeks to develop fuel for its energy and research reactors, and that it has the right to enrich uranium under the international nonproliferation treaty.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani