EU support of sanctions is `foolish`: Iran leader
Tehran: Iran`s top leader says European countries are "foolish" to support sanctions against Tehran, telling them they are sacrificing themselves for the sake of the United States.
Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei admitted that sanctions have caused problems but said the Islamic Republic will overcome the difficulties, and that Europeans are facing far more complicated economic problems than Iranians. His speech in the northeastern city of Bojnourd was broadcast on state TV today.
The EU imposed an oil embargo against Iran in July, adding to US-led sanctions that also prohibit the world`s banks from completing oil transactions with Iranian banks and further complicate Iran`s ability to conduct international commerce.
The sanctions are imposed over Iran`s nuclear program. The West accuses Iran of seeking to develop weapons, a charge Tehran denies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured