EU support of sanctions is `foolish`: Iran leader
Tehran: Iran`s top leader says European countries are "foolish" to support sanctions against Tehran, telling them they are sacrificing themselves for the sake of the United States.
Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei admitted that sanctions have caused problems but said the Islamic Republic will overcome the difficulties, and that Europeans are facing far more complicated economic problems than Iranians. His speech in the northeastern city of Bojnourd was broadcast on state TV today.
The EU imposed an oil embargo against Iran in July, adding to US-led sanctions that also prohibit the world`s banks from completing oil transactions with Iranian banks and further complicate Iran`s ability to conduct international commerce.
The sanctions are imposed over Iran`s nuclear program. The West accuses Iran of seeking to develop weapons, a charge Tehran denies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?