EU suspends Myanmar sanctions
Luxembourg: The European Union suspended its sanctions against Myanmar on Monday for a year following a wave of widely praised political reforms in the country, but will retain an embargo on arms sales, officials said.
The EU wants to support the progress made in the southeastern Asian nation "so it becomes irreversible”, said foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton. She will travel to Myanmar, also known as Burma, this week.
The measures were adopted by the bloc`s foreign ministers at a meeting in Luxembourg, said spokeswoman Maja Kocijancic. Sanctions currently target more than 800 companies and nearly 500 people, and include the withholding of some development aid.
European and US officials have pointed to significant reforms in Myanmar over the past year. These include more freedom for the media and political opposition parties, and the election to Parliament of former political prisoner Aung San Suu Kyi, whose arrest originally drove the imposition of the penalties.
British Foreign Secretary William Hague highlighted the fact that sanctions were being suspended rather than lifted completely.
"We remain very concerned about conflict and human rights abuses in some ethnic areas of Burma," Hague said.
The effectiveness of US and EU sanctions has been undermined by China, India and Southeast Asian nations that maintain flourishing business ties with Myanmar. EU nations are concerned that they are lagging behind in both the political and economic fields as Myanmar increasingly opens up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Nationalism is BJP's identity, our sole aim is nation-building: PM Modi
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN