EU to slap new sanctions on Syria
Brussels: The European Union (EU) is all set to impose more sanctions against Syria, said an EU foreign affairs official on Friday.
It has so far approved 16 rounds of sanctions against Syria since May 2011, which brings the total number of people subject to sanctions to 129 while 49 entities are now affected by an EU asset freeze, Xinhua reported.
According to Pierre Vimont, the executive secretary general of the European External Action Service (EEAS), there will be a discussion on Syria among EU foreign ministers next Monday and there should be a conclusion adopted.
"There will be new additional sanctions against individual designation, whether personalities or entities," said Vimont. "There will be also a decision on the reinforcement of the arms embargo inspection. This has been done and has been agreed."
The EU will ask member states to ensure the inspections of both sea vessels and aircraft travelling towards Syria, he said.
Also, EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton on Friday expressed her regret over Thursday`s vote of the UNSC resolution on Syria.
"I deeply regret that despite the serious deterioration of the situation in Syria, the members of the UN Security Council could not agree on a resolution to add more effective and robust pressure to end the violence in Syria and allow for a peaceful settlement of the conflict," said Ashton.
"The current escalating violence in the country requires urgent and united action by the UNSC and the international community to enforce Kofi Annan`s peace plan," she said.
Ashton said the EU will continue supporting Annan and his plan as the best solution to resolve the Syria crisis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'