EU to work with Belarusian minister despite sanctions
Brussels, Aug 21: The European Union has said that it will work with the new Belarusian foreign minister despite the fact that he is subject to EU sanctions.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko dismissed his Foreign Minister Sergei Martynov earlier Monday and appointed head of his Presidential administration Vladimir Makei for the post.
"The EU will continue to work with the new foreign minister along the same lines as it did with the former minister Mr Martynov," the spokesperson of EU High Representative Catherine Ashton said.
"Mr Makei is currently subject to EU restrictive measures. In the context of the upcoming review of restrictive measures [in the autumn of this year], the EU will assess his situation," Sebastien Brabant said.
The dismissal of Martynov, who had held the post since 2003, follows a recent diplomatic row between Belarus and Sweden over an incident in which a Swedish light plane dropped hundreds of teddy bears bearing pro-democracy slogans over Belarus.
Belarusian President earlier sacked two top generals, including the head of air defence, in the wake of the July 4 stunt.
Belarus has also expelled Swedish ambassador Stefan Eriksson and withdrawn all of its embassy staff from Stockholm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH