EU to work with Belarusian minister despite sanctions
Brussels, Aug 21: The European Union has said that it will work with the new Belarusian foreign minister despite the fact that he is subject to EU sanctions.
Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko dismissed his Foreign Minister Sergei Martynov earlier Monday and appointed head of his Presidential administration Vladimir Makei for the post.
"The EU will continue to work with the new foreign minister along the same lines as it did with the former minister Mr Martynov," the spokesperson of EU High Representative Catherine Ashton said.
"Mr Makei is currently subject to EU restrictive measures. In the context of the upcoming review of restrictive measures [in the autumn of this year], the EU will assess his situation," Sebastien Brabant said.
The dismissal of Martynov, who had held the post since 2003, follows a recent diplomatic row between Belarus and Sweden over an incident in which a Swedish light plane dropped hundreds of teddy bears bearing pro-democracy slogans over Belarus.
Belarusian President earlier sacked two top generals, including the head of air defence, in the wake of the July 4 stunt.
Belarus has also expelled Swedish ambassador Stefan Eriksson and withdrawn all of its embassy staff from Stockholm.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler