EU urged to press Israel over prisoners` demands
Ramallah: The Palestinian National Authority (PNA) and the Islamic Hamas movement Tuesday called on the European Union (EU) to press Israel to meet the demands of the hunger striking prisoners.
Palestinian Foreign Affairs Minister Riad al Maliki welcomed the call by the EU`s missions in Jerusalem and Ramallah on Israel to provide medical care for the hunger strikers and improve the conditions of imprisonment, reported Xinhua.
Al Maliki said the EU members should "demonstrate these calls into actions on the ground by putting more pressure on Israel." He warned that "time was not on the side of anybody and that the death of any inmate would affect stability in the region."
Meanwhile, Gaza ruler Hamas said that the EU`s call to Israel was "insufficient," and said that Europe should take "practical steps to save the prisoners."
Two of the Palestinians in Israeli jails have been fasting for 72 days to protest their administrative detention, a tactic that allows Israel to hold them without a charge.
On April 17, at least 1,500 detainees started a hunger strike to protest against their prison conditions and demand improvements. The strike, started individually by dozens of inmates days and weeks earlier, is the biggest collective protest in Israeli jails.
Israel holds 4,700 Palestinians, 320 of them on the so-called administrative detention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked