EU welcomes Mursi as Egypt`s new leader
Brussels: European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton has welcomed the inauguration of Mohamed Morsi as Egypt`s new president.
"We congratulate President Morsi on his inauguration. This is a moment to celebrate the first democratically elected President in Egypt`s history," Ashton said in a statement issued following Saturday`s inauguration ceremony in Cairo.
"We know that there are many challenges ahead and look forward to working with him and his future government as he leads the country into the next crucial stage of its transition," she added.
Islamist Morsi was sworn-in before Egypt`s highest court Saturday, after narrowly defeating former prime minister Ahmed Shafiq in run-off elections in mid-June. He succeeded Hosni Mubarak who was ousted 16 months ago in a popular uprising.
On Saturday, in his inaugural speech before Egypt`s Supreme Court, Morsi, the former leader of the Muslim Brotherhood`s political wing, pledged to defend the country`s republican system, sovereignty, independence and integrity, safeguard the interests of the Egyptian people, and observe the constitution and national laws.
Morsi, who has called for national unity and pledged to form a coalition government, left the Muslim Brotherhood`s Freedom and Justice Party shortly after winning the race. He had garnered about 52 percent of the vote in the June 16-17 elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack