Eurofighter jet crashes in Spain: Defence ministry
Madrid: A Eurofighter jet crashed on Monday while landing at the Moron air base in southwestern Spain near Seville, a defence ministry spokeswoman said.
"A Eurofighter has crashed on landing on the runway of the Moron base," she said. She was not able to confirm media reports that the pilot had died in the crash.
The Moron air base is shared by Spain and the US Air Force, but only Spain operates the Eurofighter jet.
Defence group BAE builds the fighter jet with European aerospace group Airbus and Italian defence contractor Finmeccanica.
The Eurofighter consortium, Europe`s largest defence programme, is in fierce competition with other fighter-jet makers such as Lockheed Martin, Boeing and Dassault Aviation.
Last month, the head of Airbus defence division, Bernhard Gerwert, said the consortium would stop making the Eurofighter jet in 2018 if it did not win new export contracts for the fighter jet.
Talks were underway to sell Eurofighter jets outside of Europe, to Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Malaysia, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened